Although she wasn't perfect and I have hopefully learned from her mistakes, my Mother was an incredible Mother. Our house was always perfectly clean, she made a healthy from scratch family dinner every night, she volunteered at our schools, checked our homework, led our groups, hosted play dates, threw great parties and basically made Mothering look easy. If she would have had a son, she would have been a tough act to follow. Now as a Mother myself, I am confronted with making Motherhood my own while living in my Mothers footsteps. Although I am not nearly the perfectionist or as strict, I do hope to make Mothering look as easy to my own kids as she did to me and my sister.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Keeping It Clean

 Growing up my Mother kept an immaculate house. Our almost white carpets were spotless, clutter and a "junk" drawer were unheard of, the windows and mirrors were streak free and dust was rare. I have vivid memories of my Mother cleaning the floors daily by hand and ironing our sheets. Although I do think she was a little obsessive, it was nice growing up in a clean environment. Somehow, despite my up bringing, I have never been the cleanest. I am getting better each day and I definitely do not want my children having memories of growing up in a fifthly house. The reality is, it's a lot of work to keep everything clean! I sweep my floors a couple times a day and they always seem dirty. My couch is a mess every morning. There are always dishes to do. When does it end? Mondays are my deep cleaning days and as I look around today at what little I have done and know what my evening will entail, I ask myself, how did she do it? Am I just hard wired to not be that clean?

1 comment:

  1. You're hard wired to be a mom FIRST, and the housekeeper SECOND. It's okay! Hey, my house was no where near spotless today either, and we had YOU guys over! All I can say is that I think your kiddos will appreciate memories of laughing and playing with you, rather than memories of an immaculate house. :-)

    ReplyDelete