Although she wasn't perfect and I have hopefully learned from her mistakes, my Mother was an incredible Mother. Our house was always perfectly clean, she made a healthy from scratch family dinner every night, she volunteered at our schools, checked our homework, led our groups, hosted play dates, threw great parties and basically made Mothering look easy. If she would have had a son, she would have been a tough act to follow. Now as a Mother myself, I am confronted with making Motherhood my own while living in my Mothers footsteps. Although I am not nearly the perfectionist or as strict, I do hope to make Mothering look as easy to my own kids as she did to me and my sister.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Being a Parent... Who knew it was such a hard job?

 As a newer Mom of two children, I never get a break. I wake up every morning, make coffee, clean bottles and the kitchen, feed the kids, clean up after the kids and my husband, clean the family room, take the kids upstairs to get ready, make my bed, straighten my room, clean the kids room, get them dressed, get myself dressed, start laundry, oh and then remember I made coffee (even though at this point it is too cold and bitter to drink!). The day continues on like this until we are all in bed and then we wake and it starts all over. Although I love my children more than anything and am so blessed to have the opportunity to be a Mom, sometimes I wonder, how did I not realize how hard the gift of being a parent would actually be and why didn't I appreciate my parents more?

Growing up, my parents were always busy. My dad worked, came home, paid bills and handled the finances, furthered his education, worked around the house (where Mom needed him) and did yard work. My Mom cleaned, cooked, did all our shopping, set all our appointments, drove us everywhere, encouraged our education, made sure we did what we were suppose to do (all the duties a dedicated  Mom does and more). Not to mention my Mom and Dad (when he could) where at EVERY event or function we had and I honestly do not think they missed a single event; even when that meant hopping on a plane or driving for hours. I rarely saw my parents rest and yet somehow I never considered their non stop devotion and continual hard work as a sign for how hard the job of being a parent would be for me. Especially with two children, I respect my parents and everything they did, whether I agreed with it or not, even more today.

At least now, as a Mom, I can understand that my children will not appreciate me until they have their own family and my son may never understand what I have done to give him the life he deserves. And although this life can be stressful at times, I wouldn't trade it for any other and I know that this, like every past struggle, is a stage in my life that I have been so fortunate to experience. This is why they say wisdom come with age. For now, I will love my children for who they are, thank my parents for who they have been and live my live for what it is. I am so fortunate to be here, living this life, loving the people I love and knowing what I know now.

2 comments:

  1. I needed to thank you for this great read!! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it.
    I've got you book marked to check out new things you post…

    my blog post tiauetxfsxbx.bravesites.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetingѕ! This is my 1st comment here so I
    јust wanted to give а quick shоut out and tell yοu I genuinely enjoy
    reading your artiсlеs. Can yоu recommend аny other blοgs/websiteѕ/forums that go
    over the samе subjectѕ? Thankѕ а ton!


    Taκe a look at my site :: Nummerupplysningen

    ReplyDelete