Although she wasn't perfect and I have hopefully learned from her mistakes, my Mother was an incredible Mother. Our house was always perfectly clean, she made a healthy from scratch family dinner every night, she volunteered at our schools, checked our homework, led our groups, hosted play dates, threw great parties and basically made Mothering look easy. If she would have had a son, she would have been a tough act to follow. Now as a Mother myself, I am confronted with making Motherhood my own while living in my Mothers footsteps. Although I am not nearly the perfectionist or as strict, I do hope to make Mothering look as easy to my own kids as she did to me and my sister.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Finding My Inner Disciplinary

My Mother was a very stern disciplinarian and as a result we were well behaved children. We did not act out in public, knew better than to throw a fit in the store and tried our best to do what would keep us on her good side. Of course there was a time when I, the rebel daughter, did act out against her strict regime, yet I always knew and understood that there would be consequences and never fought them. At times I felt like I could never be the daughter she wanted me to because her expectations were so high. I now wonder if I acted out as a way to free myself from the person she wanted me to become; who was not the person I wanted of myself.

As my son enters the 'terrible twos', I find myself wondering what kind of disciplinary I want to be to my children. I know I do not want my children to fear me or feel a sense of inadequacy when it comes to my expectations but I also want then well behaved. I want my children to know how to act in front of others, to be respectful and well mannered but I also want them to live their lives with laughter in their hearts. I am determined to raise my son to be a true gentlemen; a man who knows how to respect others and himself. I am determined to raise my daughter to be kind and compassionate and understand that she deserve respect. Yet most importantly, I want my children to have a confident sense of self.

Ultimately, I believe if you respect your children they will respect you and respect is the foundation to a solid individual. As I have well passed my years of rebellion, I now have a relationship of respect with my parents. I do not find it appropriate to be dishonest with them and expect nothing but honesty in return. It took years for us to get to this place but along the way I was always been concerned with their approval and disappointment. This regard has gotten me to the place where I can have a relationship of respect with them. I am hoping as I find my inner disciplinary, that I can help my children find an easier path to respect. I hope that if I can always respect my children then they will respect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment